- Mealy bugs infest the heart leaf which becomes highly stunted deformed and suppressed.
- When they infest inflorescence the populations of mealy bugs are seen under the perianth.
- Due to the draining of sap the young buttons dry and such dried buttons are retained on the tree.
- When developing nuts are infested they become deformed.
Observe twenty trees at random from a plot, look for dried inflorescence and assess the damage.Even if one inflorescence is dried that tree is taken as infested.
- Wide open 2 or 3 leaves surrounding the central spindle. Clean the crown of all the dried inflorescences.
- Crown cleaning should be taken as a usual practice immediately after the North to East monsoon as there is chance for building up of the population during summer season.
- Spray dimethoate(Roger 30 EC to 0.05 percentage or Quinalphos 25 EC to 0.05 percentage).Spray neem oil emulsion plus garlic 2 % .
- Spray Verticillium lecanii at 20g/L or 5 ml/L.