- The major symptoms of mealy bug infestations are yellowing of plants, shedding of leaves, stunting of plants and wilting.
- The roots of infested plants decay resulting in death of plants.
- Newly emerging leaves get reduced in size.
- Some of the infested plants may put forth new flushes with the onset of rain which will remain unhealthy.
- Such plants gradually wilt.
Inspect 20 standards selected at random from the plot. Observe for symptoms of damage such as yellowing, stunting, shedding of leaves, etc. Look for population of mealy bugs in such plants after removing soil from the base.