Nutritional/Physiological Disorders:Potassium Deficiency
- Symptoms first appear on mature leaves and petioles.
- The most characteristic symptom is the inward marginal yellowing of older leaf followed by marginal necrosis(Image1,2).
- Chlorosis progresses very rapidly and in a day or two the whole leaf turns yellow with downward curling(Image3,4).
- Subsequently the leaf dries up, petiole breaks and the leaf dies prematurely.
- In deficient plants, banana bunches are short, slim and deformed as a consequence of poor fruit filling caused by reduced photosynthesis and sugar transportation