- The damage caused by single larva is minimal.
- However,when large populations are present they are capable of destroying leaves affecting growth of plants.
- The larvae of the fly remaining inside the leaf mine feed on the contents.
- The damage causes tightly coiled almost blotch like mines.
- The mined portion of the leaves later dries affecting the photosynthetic capacity of the affected plants.
Select 10 leaves each ( at random) from ten plants and assess the percentage of damage and workout the average per plant.Less than 5% mild 5-10% moderate; more than 10% severe.